The Latest Fripp Island Weather Conditions
After hurricane Michael, we have had a lot of people inquiring about the South Carolina weather issues that could derail their vacation plans. It’s true, hurricanes are nothing to laugh at. They can bring devastating winds, rain, and floods that can pose life-threatening situations for anyone in their path. Therefore, we have designed this page to help keep you apprised of the current weather situation around Fripp Island Resort.
We also thought it would be helpful to share some safety information for locals and people who find themselves stuck in hurricane-related situations. Your safety is our priority.
- If there is a chance of inclement weather, always pack extra blankets, clothing, and batteries.
- Bring along flashlights and an additional first aid kit.
- Don’t hesitate to cancel plans or change them if there is a likelihood that you will encounter a hurricane or severe weather.
- Always check with the resort when there is news about potential hurricanes.
- Pack non-perishable snack foods and pick some up for your stay.
- Always keep bottled water on hand.
- If you are vacationing, pay attention to local warnings and heed those of resort personnel.
If you have booked with us during the hurricane season and there are incoming storms, please call before heading our way. We would much rather help you reschedule than put you in harm’s way!
Understanding the Nature of Hurricanes
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration defines a hurricane as, “… a type of storm called a tropical cyclone, which forms over tropical or subtropical waters. Think of it like a massive warm water tornado that brings the chance of flooding with it. A hurricane usually forms far out to sea and makes its way to land, picking up speed along the way. By the time it hits, it can have winds at speeds of over 100mph. Most local and national channels should have available weather alerts at this point.
When Is Hurricane Season?
The actual Atlantic hurricane season is from June 1 to November 30. Naturally, these can be peak vacation times, which means it’s important to keep an eye on the local weather before packing up and heading to the resort.
Call us at 1-888-741-8974 if you have questions about the weather or if you’d like to book one of our luxury accommodations. Book direct and save. For Forecast information, please consult the National Hurricane Center, your local National Weather Service office and the State Climatology Office.
- NHC: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
- NWS Charleston: http://www.weather.gov/chs/
- NWS Wilmington: http://www.weather.gov/ilm/
- NWS Columbia: http://www.weather.gov/cae/
- NWS Greenville-Spartanburg: http://www.weather.gov/gsp/