Biology, Ecology, Wildlife, Marine Ecology, Environmental Education, or related majors
Summer Internship: May 21st – August 10th
(Negotiable, depending on student’s schedule)
Fripp Island, South Carolina
- Our Naturalist Interns are responsible for assisting the Head Naturalist and other Recreation staff members with daily operations in the Fripp Island Activity Center.
- Organize, implement, and evaluate all daily recreation activities involving nature.Lead resort guests on nature programs including kayak tours, beach walks, birding programs, and gator walks. Learn more about our nature programs at https://www.frippislandresort.com/nature-programs/.
- The Activity Center houses a variety of reptiles and marine life which naturalist interns will use to educate and entertain resort guests.
- Animal care and exhibit maintenance, including daily and weekly reptile feeding
- Assist with injured animal transport or wild animal relocations
- Discuss nature-related topics with guests with the goal of instilling knowledge, compassion, positivity, curiosity, and appreciation for wildlife and the environment
- Collect data for our birding side-projects; we report species observations to eBird, report banded shorebirds, and monitor nest box activity for the South Carolina Bluebird Society.
- Naturalist Interns may also assist our Recreation staff with school groups, special events, arts and crafts, and our kids’ day camp, Camp Fripp
- Take reservations and complete sales transactions
- Interns have a 40 hour work week with the possibility of working weekends and holidays. Additional time off and guests can be accommodated.
- Perform additional duties upon request
- This internship is intended to fulfill part of the graduation requirements of students currently enrolled in an accredited university (for credit hours). Discuss with your advisor how this opportunity can be part of your curriculum.
- Ability to speak clearly, loudly, and professionally to large groups
- Compelling interest in educating guests of all ages about wildlife and environmental issues in an engaging way
- Excellent customer service skills and a positive, professional work demeanor
- Working knowledge of and passion for barrier island ecology a plus
- Willing and able to confidently handle all of the animals in the Fripp Island Activity Center including snakes, turtles, bearded dragons, various amphibians, and baby alligators
- Willing to handle marine animals including fish and crabs
- Proficient in Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Must be able to work in a variety of weather conditions
- Able to swim
- Able to lift 30-50 pounds
- Valid driver’s license
- CPR and First Aid certified, or willing to get certified before arrival
$375 bi-weekly stipend + Housing on the island ($50 rent deducted per pay period)
Enjoy access to the resort restaurants, fitness center, pools, golf, tennis, volleyball, and basketball. Lunch from the Marina Deli is provided at no charge to the intern every working day. Summer Naturalists will have the opportunity to volunteer with the Fripp Island Turtle Team, if they choose to.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter, resume/CV, and a list of references (2-3 past employers and 1-2 academic advisors) to Jessica Miller at email@example.com
February 16th (All day) Selection may be made before the deadline.